Irish Americans for Biden
Design and build a clean, modern, and easy-to-navigate campaign website for Irish American Democrats for Joe Biden 2020. Feature photos, news articles, policy positions, and other informational sources to educate people and encourage support for this candidate.
Designer and front-end developer
Stella O’Leary, founder
Nathan Smith, content provider
Design and build a visually appealing and easily scannable website that enables users to quickly gain an understanding of this candidate and his policy positions. Showcase relevant photos, quotes, and news clips, and provide a place where users can sign up to get involved.
Understanding the user
I interviewed the group’s organizer on several occasions, learning about the grassroots organization, which was organized in 1996 to support U.S. congressional and presidential candidates who promote peace, justice, and prosperity in Ireland. I explored the group’s needs for this project by asking questions like the following:
- Who is your target demographic?
- What level of education do they have?
- Where are they located (U.S. or Ireland)?
- What’s important to them? What do they care about?
I also explored what sort of image the site’s organizers wanted the site to convey:
- What type of content do you want to share?
- Do you have testimonials? Articles?
- What info do you want to highlight the most?
- What do you want to equip the user to do?
- How will most users come to the site?
Founder Stella O’Leary (right) with then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
Wireframing the site
The client wanted a site designed mainly around photos, quotes, and text. Here is a proposed layout.
Determining typography and colors
I presented these typography and color palette choices.
- Able to quickly design based on client feedback in order to meet a tight deadline
- Able to effectively present complex information simply
- Able to navigate and negotiate diverse client input
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop